Month-long events during #class
- E: Zoe Sheehan Saldana - Art Wrap (all day) Free Gift Wrapping! Anyone who buys an artwork during the run of the show can have it gift-wrapped by Zoë Sheehan Saldaña in handmade brown paper and twine.
- E: Dr. Gloria and Dr. Kristin's Writing School (2-3 pm) Princeton University writing professors Dr. Gloria and Dr. Kristin will lead partipants in a thinking and writing exercise to assess the value of their assessments of value. Every participant will leave with a renewed understanding and a letter grade.
- Work Space (4-6pm)
- E: RANT NIGHT (6-????) On the final night of the show we will host "Rant Night," where everyone is encouraged to come and let it rip on whatever's still bothering you.
- Sarah Smizz will give away free posters featuring her "Maps of the Art System."
- Hyperallergic has prepared $ECRET$ OF THE NEW YORK ART WORLD, which invites visitors to reveal who in the city's art industry owes them money. Will the pyramid scheme that is the art world collapse when the secrets come out? Hyperallergic hopes so.
- Rebecca Armstrong will present "Working Artist," a contract-based performance art piece that sets up an agreement between an artist and collector by which the artist is paid for labor rather than product, thus ostensibly freeing the art-making process from the market. The contract is currently unsigned.
- Broadsheet, the zine by two lady artists with their knickers in a twist, will make its long-awaited return with a Broad vs. Broad smackdown on the pros and cons of working for free.
- [name withheld by artist's request in the spirit of open content] has organized "Shut Up Already, I'll Look at your Art!" open source call to artists on the "Outside" to have their work viewed by an "Insider". For this project, gallerist Ed Winkleman will spend a portion of his time in the gallery during #class reviewing digital images of art sent via the internet to #class by artists globally. Artists will be asked to submit a digital image of one piece of art to be reviewed by Mr. Winkleman for at least 10 seconds, TWICE the average time museum goers spend viewing a piece of art. (the website for this is almost ready...)
- (Day)Job--the very name is a qualifier--implying that it isn’t one’s “job” per se--though, in the case of many (most?) cultural producers, it may be the only income generating job*. * /(Day)Job/ is a photo- archive of cultural producers and their “dayjobs,” self-posted using the social networking reach of Facebook. Artists Tara Fracalossi and Thomas Lail ask: How do we define ourselves? How do we want to be defined? What’s
/your/ (Day)Job? Join the Facebook Group /(Day)Job/ (www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=313416103889&ref=ts) and post your
Again, please let me know if your event is not listed or the details seem incorrect.
And please understand that this event came together, through a lot of hard work by a lot of people, but especially by Jen and Bill, within the space of one month. Hang with us if anything doesn't run as smoothly as more polished events...that's actually not the goal here.UPDATE:
Jennifer Dalton has assured me that the market space section of #class will indeed include "art...made by one person out of intense personal necessity, ... by hand.